sábado, 21 de marzo de 2015

CONDITIONALS - Condicionales


TYPE
EXAMPLES
long forms short/contracted forms
I + If I study, I will pass the exam. If I study, I'll pass the exam.
- If Sue studies, she will not fail the exam.
If I do not study, I will fail the exam.
If Sue studies, she won't fail the exam.
If I don't study, I'll fail the exam.
II + If he studied, he would pass the exam. If he studied, He'd pass the exam.
- If Sue studied, she would not fail the exam.
If it did not rain, I would go to the beach.
If Sue studied, she wouldn't fail the exam.
If it didn't rain, I'd go to the beach.
III + If I had studied, I would have passed the exam. If I'd studied, I'd have passed the exam.
- If I had studied, I would not have failed the exam.
If I had not studied, I would have failed the exam.
If I'd studied, I wouldn't have failed the exam.
If I hadn't studied, I'd have failed the exam.

"0" Conditional   - (something that always happens) - Verbs are in the Present Tense.
         +  If you burn the toast, it smells horrible.               - - - - -
         -   If I do not water the plants, they die.               If I don't water the plants, they die.

                              USES                                                             SUMMARY
0 - Always happens - Scientific facts                               -          IF + vb present, vb present
I  - A general truth, we don't know for sure. Future          -          IF + vb present, will_____
II - Imagine "what would happen if..."- Presente Subj Esp      - IF + vb past simp, would____
III - Refer to past-impossible to change                                   - IF + vb past perfect, would have ___
                                                                    **Important**
- IF I was  WERE you, I would visit your grandmother. (2nd conditional) (WERE todas las personas)
- UNLESS (IF not- A menos que/ si no /a no ser que...)

Shall we try some exercises?:  Click on the links :   EGO4U - Conditionals (1st)   
(1st & 2nd) Conditionals  
(1st, 2nd and 3rd) Conditionals

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Comentarios con palabras inadecuadas no serán incluidos.